World Pest Day, also known as Pest Awareness Day, is observed each year on the 6th of june. It is aimed at raising awareness for pest management, and how it helps in improving the quality of human life. In this article, let’s dive into the history, purpose and interesting facts about the World Pest Day.
History (How World Pest Day Originated)
World Pest Day was established by the Chinese Pest Control Association (CPCA) and the Federation of Asian and Oceania Pest Managers' Association (FAOPMA) in 2017. It was co-sponsored by the National Pest Management Association, and the Confederation of European Pest Management Associations.
The initiative gained popularity really quickly and many associations and organizations joined hands.
Purpose of the ‘World Pest Day’
- The main purpose that this day holds is the significance of pest management in protecting human health, food, and property. It serves as a platform to raise awareness around pest infestations and enables the general public to act accordingly in order to maintain a healthy and safe environment.
- It emphasizes using sustainable and environment friendly techniques for pest management. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques, which focus on prevention, monitoring, and targeted treatments, are encouraged to minimize the use of chemical pesticides and reduce environmental impact.
- Pests pose challenges to various sectors such as agriculture (damage crops), public health and property and have the potential to cause serious health issues. Therefore it becomes important to observe the World Pest Day to highlight effective measures that can be taken for pest infestation.
Interesting Facts About Different Pests!
Here are some interesting facts about pests that will blow your mind:
- Ants can lift and carry more than fifty times their own weight.
- Ticks can grow from the size of a grain of rice to the size of a marble.
- Termites are good for you and edible. Termites are rich in iron, calcium, protein, fatty and amino acids, making them highly nutritious.
- Cockroaches can survive for a week without their head.
- Bed bugs have been around for thousands of years and have been documented as far back as ancient Egypt. They were mentioned in Greek and Roman literature, highlighting their long history of pestering humans.
- Rodents exhibit problem-solving abilities. They can navigate complex mazes, learn from experiences, and find creative solutions to obtain food or overcome obstacles.
- Rats emit high-frequency sounds that are often described as laughter when they are tickled or engaged in playful behavior. These sounds are inaudible to human ears but can be detected using specialized equipment.
World Pest Day serves as a global stage to raise awareness about the significance of effective pest management. Observing this day becomes of utmost importance as it plays a crucial role in sustainable pest management in safeguarding public health and protecting the environment. One such pest management expert that has the safe beliefs is Ridaway. Pest control experts at Ridaway know exactly how to protect your home against any unwelcome guest. They use biologically friendly pesticides that leave your home safe to return to.