Black mold—even if you don’t know exactly what it is or how it grows, just hearing that term probably gives you a bad feeling. However, it isn’t any more toxic than other types of mold—specifically because all types of mold are hazardous to your health and should be dealt with without delay. 

Black mold is a specific type of fungus also known as Stachybotrys. This toxin can grow in any part of your home. The reason it’s called “black mold” is because it is much darker than other types of molds. 

Causes of Black Mold

Black mold thrives not only where it is damp, but also where there are many cellulose sources, such as paper or cardboard. It can also be present in foods with high cellulose content, such as certain nuts or coffee beans. 

Always make sure that any areas of your home that are often warm and wet, such as bathrooms, basements, windowsills, or crawlspaces, are adequately ventilated and dried off regularly. Check these spaces often for signs of mold or leaks. 

If your home easily becomes humid, or if you live in a humid area, this will need to be done more often. If you smell musty air or have a problem with lingering odors, then mold might be in a good place to grow. Use a dehumidifier to prevent excess moisture from building up in your home. 

Signs of Black Mold in Your Home

Identifying black mold can be tricky. Many people’s immune systems respond to black mold exposure with congestion or coughing. Musty smells are also a sign that mold could be present. If you can visibly see mold present on surfaces, then the infestation may have gotten bad enough that you need professional help to remove it. 

Stopping Mold in Its Tracks

If the mold that you see is in its beginning stages, there are things you can do on your own to keep it from getting out of control. 

First, wear protective equipment. Most mold removal substances are harsh on the skin, and bringing up the mold spores can irritate your lungs or nasal passages. 

Scrub moldy surfaces with bleach and water, vinegar, or products made for mold removal. Bleach should be diluted according to the bottle’s instructions, but vinegar can be used at full strength. Let whichever product you’re using soak into the moldy surface, then scrub, let sit again, and rinse. 

If this doesn’t work, it’s time to call a professional. 

RidAway to the Rescue

If you suspect (or know!) that you have black mold in your home, don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can remove it and get you back to safe, comfortable living. 

Ridaway’s team of trained, educated professionals will come out and assess your space, giving you options for how to remove the unwanted and possibly dangerous toxins from your home. We will leave you with a clean, healthy, and comfortable space for you and your family.