Mold is a type of fungus that grows on damp surfaces. It can grow on walls, carpets, clothes, food, damp pipes, and almost every surface or object with moisture. It's common knowledge that mold is dangerous for humans. It can cause several allergies, breathing problems, skin conditions, or serious issues like mold toxicity. However, mold also proves to be problematic for our furry friends and can cause serious health issues in them. The health risks are doubled if it's Toxic Black Mold.

Health Risks Of Mold For Pets

The most dangerous of molds is Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as Black Mold. It can cause a lot of health issues for pets as it produces a toxin called “mycotoxin.”

  • Mycotoxins are harmful and cause breathing problems,  coughing, and fatigue.
  • Black mold also affects the digestive tract of your pet and can cause problems like nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite.
  • It can also cause allergies in your pets which in turn will cause a runny nose, itching and constant licking.
  • In addition, black mold can also affect the nervous system of your pets causing mental instabilities, fatigue, tremors , and seizures.
  • Pets that suffer from an existing health condition, or that are too young or old are at a higher risk of developing serious health issues.

How To Protect Against Mold

Here are some things to practice:

  • Keep your pet’s food fresh: It's very important to keep a regular check on your pet’s food as it can easily develop mold if left unattended for a long period of time. Also, don’t forget to wash their water and food bowls daily.
  • If you suspect your pet might have a mold related allergy or other problems, without wasting any time, take them to a veterinarian. A vet will perform a thorough physical exam and necessary tests to give you a proper solution.
  • Mold and moisture are best friends: Excessive moisture and humidity leads to faster mold development. It's important to keep your home clean and dry. Apart from this, make it a habit to keep the windows of your home open for at least an hour or two per day for proper ventilation in your home. Especially in places like bathrooms that are more susceptible to mold growth.

If you think you have mold growing in your home, the first and the foremost thing to do is to contact professionals. Experts and professionals will make sure the mold is removed from your home entirely and safely. One such mold removal professional is Ridaway. With Ridaway you can be assured that mold in your house will be dealt with great measures. 

RidAway safely removes toxic mold spores so you, your family, and your pets can breathe clean, healthy air once again.