If you know about asbestos you can directly skip to the ‘Facts Everybody Should Know About Asbestos’. If you have heard the name asbestos’ for the very first time, keep reading. Asbestos is a mineral that occurs naturally. It is a naturally occurring mineral that be termed as an ‘all-rounder’. Why? Well, asbestos is heat-resistant, chemical-resistant, electricity-resistant, non-corrosive, fireproof, waterproof, durable, and flexible. It also has high flexural strength (the material's ability to resist deformation under load) and provides great sound insulation. All these properties make asbestos a great choice in construction and consumer electronics.
However, asbestos was and is banned in most countries. It was discovered that as great as asbestos might be, it was also as bad. To put it directly, asbestos causes cancer! It causes a cancer called mesothelioma. Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that suspends microscopic fibers into the air when disturbed and sometimes when not disturbed also. These fibers when inhaled by humans get trapped in the lungs and cause inflammation and scarring which eventually leads to cancer. Mesothelioma can also affect people who are indirectly exposed to asbestos. For example, if a person works somewhere around or deals with asbestos at work without using PPE, they can expose their family members to the risk of developing mesothelioma. This is known as second-hand asbestos exposure. Therefore, it is very important to know certain facts about asbestos so that you can protect yourself and your loved ones from the dangers of it.
Below are Some Shocking Facts About Asbestos!
- Approximately 3,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma each year in the U.S.
- Asbestos exposure causes at least 90% of all mesothelioma cases.
- If you live in the state of Massachusetts and have worked there for a significant amount of time, there is a chance that you were exposed to asbestos in the workplace.
- Massachusetts has 4 known asbestos sites, including 2 former mines and 2 natural deposits.
- At least 30 Americans die each day from asbestos-caused illnesses
- Between 2-10% of people exposed to asbestos will develop a related disease
- Between 80-90% of asbestos diseases are a type of lung disease
- There are still thousands of tonnes of raw asbestos mined each year. The main producers are Russia (the biggest), Kazakhstan and China.
- In China, if a product contains less than 5% asbestos, the manufacturer does not have to declare there is asbestos.
- Out of the 195 countries in the world, Only 68 countries have banned asbestos and asbestos-containing materials.
- Men are 4.6 times more likely to develop mesothelioma than women
- A 2018 study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health reported that for every 20 tons of asbestos produced and consumed a person dies of an asbestos-related disease somewhere in the world.
- Before the 1980s, thousands of construction products contained asbestos. Asbestos-related diseases have a long latency period, so if you worked in construction before 1980, you may be at increased risk of developing an asbestos-related disease. Some roofing and flooring materials are still made with asbestos, so current construction workers are also at risk of exposure.
- The 2007 National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s “Work-Related Lung Disease Surveillance Report” noted that elementary school teachers have an extremely high risk of being diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease – more than twice as likely than Americans as a whole
What to do if you suspect or encounter asbestos in your home or workplace?
Your immediate response should be to contact professional asbestos removal services. One such expert at handling and making your home or workplace asbestos-free is RidAway. RidAway is State certified & licensed, uses Industry safety protection, and, guarantees 100% asbestos removal. The best part? RidAway is now offering 75-100% Off on insulation! Well, If asbestos insulation was removed, it will need to be replaced. Insulation replacement is usually expensive, but not with RidAway! Through our insulation Mass Save® partner, Neeeco, we'll take care of your asbestos insulation removal. For a limited time, we can insulate your home at 75-100% off the normal cost, giving you a safe, energy-efficient home that will continue to save you money in the form of lower energy bills for years to come.
Get the best deal for home energy savings with a no-cost home energy assessment and 75% to 100% off insulation.
Reference Links for All The Facts: