fbpx
Mold on citrus

Mold – The Ultimate Guide On What It Is, How to Get Rid Of It, and How Dangerous It Can Be

August 30, 2021

You shouldn’t neglect mold – its ability to multiply quickly can have numerous adverse effects on you and your family. For this reason, you should always keep an eye out and stop the spread of mold before it causes respiratory problems. 

Your kitchen, your basement, and your bathroom are at the highest risk. These are usually the places full of moisture, which is an excellent ground for bacteria and mold to spread. Minimizing moisture and cleaning often can prevent it from developing. However, sometimes it still appears. 

What should we do when that happens, and how dangerous can it be? 

What is mold?

Mold and mildew usually need only two things to grow: a food source and moisture. Their food source is usually an organic material such as cellulose, leather, and cotton. Unfortunately, they are common in every home, and with a bit of water, the thing starts to spread.

This is essentially a type of fungus and can usually be found in parts of a home with a condensation problem. It can be white, green, black, orange, and purple. Its size can vary from spots that are the size of a penny to wide patches taking up a whole wall.

When unattended, it will continue to spread as long as there’s food and water. In areas you don’t often use at your house (attic and basement), it can quickly get out of hand. Therefore, treating it on time is essential.

How do you get rid of it?

Turning to toxic chemicals isn’t always the best way to get rid of it. There are several ways to beat it using substances that aren’t toxic:

  • Treat mold with hydrogen peroxide – a 3% concentration of this substance can effectively remove it from surfaces such as bathroom fixtures, kitchen counters and appliances, and hard flooring. Leave it on them for 10 minutes;
  • Remove black mold with vinegar – vinegar contains 20% of acetic acid and can remove it after you leave it on moldy surfaces for an hour;
  • Use baking soda to remove mold – ¼ tablespoon of baking soda should be dissolved in water and sprayed onto the moldy surface;
Treat mold with lemons – lemons have a high acid concentration and are a perfect non-toxic alternative to remove the fungus.


Is it dangerous?

Yes, mold can be dangerous. There are several health problems it can cause in some people. People with chronic respiratory diseases (such as asthma) can experience difficulty breathing when exposed to it. 

White mold at home can cause fungal infections in people who suffer from allergies, have an underlying lung disease or have immune suppression. If you or your family suffer from any of the conditions mentioned above – consult a qualified doctor.   

Restore your home with RidAway! Call 781-531-9365 or contact us today for a free mold removal consultation. RidAway is ready as you are!

Bring home safety & comfort

Drag to Reposition
Move Up or Down to Reposition
Move Left or Right to Reposition