Mold and mildew are easy to mix up, but they are not the same thing.
Both are fungi that are known for thriving in warm areas with a lot of moisture. However, there are notable differences between the two that you need to be aware of before you try to get rid of them. Likewise, preventing mold and mildew is also different depending on which one you are dealing with.
Here's a rundown of the difference between mold and mildew, why they're dangerous, and how to get rid of them.
Difference Between Mold and Mildew
One of the biggest differences between mold and mildew is in the way they look.
Mildew is typically recognizable by the following features:
- Appears white, gray, or yellow
- Grows on the surface of moist, warm areas
- Has a texture that's either fluffy or powdery
On the other hand, mold is distinguished by these features:
- Tends to be green or black in color
- Usually grows underneath a surface or almost anything that is wet
- Has a texture is either fuzzy or slimy
Where Do These Fungi Grow?
Both mold and mildew grow quickly in warm, moist places. However, each one has a preference in terms of where it starts growing.
Mildew is often found on things that have a damp surface. Things that are made of fabric, paper, and leather are the most common household items that attract mildew after getting wet. Mildew can also be found on floors, walls, or ceilings of areas with lots of humidity. For example:
On the other hand, mold is usually found on food, such as cheese, meat, or bread. It can also be found in both indoor and outdoor spaces that have gotten wet. For example:
- Crawl spaces
What Are the Effects of Mold and Mildew?
Mold and mildew have different effects on the surfaces they grow on and the people and pets who live in the same environment.
Mildew doesn't have serious effects on humans or objects, but it's can be a nuisance that can become serious with such consequences as:
- Harming food
- Damaging surfaces
- Afflicting coughs and headaches
Mold, on the other hand, has a more serious effects, as it can result in:
- Damage entire structures, including homes and vehicles
- Causing long-term health problems if inhaled
- Causing respiratory issues, heart problems, joint pain, and even depression
Getting rid of mildew is easy. But getting rid of mold requires the help of a professional.
How to Get Rid of Mold
Attempting to remove mold on your own is not only dangerous for your health, it also risks not being done incorrectly which would allow the spores of mold to continue their reproduction. Then you could wind up spending even more, as a professional would be needed to fix the situation.
Our mold remediation services at RidAway include trained technicians who will start the removal process immediately by:
- Performing a complete diagnosis of every area of your home
- Limiting the contaminated area with negative air pressure
- Professionally cleaning all mold surfaces
- Cleaning air filters
Don't expose yourself or your loved ones to the dangers of mold. Give us a call today for your free consultation, and watch our team bring your home back to its healthy, beautiful self again.