What is Mold?

In three words, Mold is a type of fungus. It typically needs moisture or decay to grow. Therefore, damp and decaying organic matter is ideal for mold multiplication. Molds do not discriminate. They can grow anytime and anywhere. Mold doesn’t care if its summer, winter, rainy OR plants, dried leaves, food, or walls of your home! But is mold good or bad for humans?

Well, some mold is good while some is toxic. For example, Penicillium is a mold used in the production of many types of cheese, like blue cheese. The mold strains used to make this cheese cannot produce mycotoxins (due to absence of ideal conditions). Mycotoxins are chemicals produced by mold. These chemicals are extremely harmful to organisms present around it including human beings. When this mold grows on decayed bread or damp walls it starts producing mycotoxins and should therefore be prevented from multiplying.

Once mold starts spreading it does not stop until some outside intervention. It releases spores in the air which could prove harmful to humans.

Some common symptoms of mold exposure are:

  • Throat Irritation
  • Cough
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Respiratory problems such as difficulty in breathing

Let’s look at some serious issues that mold can have on human health:

Fungal Infection

  • A serious health issue from mold exposure for immunosuppressed individuals is systemic fungal infection, also called mycosis. People exposed to high level of mold, or chronic mold may get affected with mycosis. Lungs, skin or digestive tract can get affected in mycosis. Another fungal infection that can be caused by mold exposure is Aspergillosis caused by a mold called Aspergillus. The types of health problems caused by Aspergillus include allergic reactions, lung infections, and infections in other organs. People with weakened immune systems or lung diseases are at a higher risk of developing health problems due to Aspergillus.

Mycotoxin Toxicity

  • As mentioned earlier, molds excrete toxic and chemical compounds called mycotoxins in the air which carry spores. Mycotoxins can also prove to be fatal to humans if the exposure is high enough. Symptoms of mycotoxin exposure include; cognitive impairment, brain fog, and memory loss, depression, anxiety, psoriasis, eczema, autoimmune diseases, shortness of breath, sinus infections, etc. High level of mycotoxins in the air can cause neurological damage in some cases.

Mold-induced Hypersensitivity (Mold Allergy)

  • Hypersensitivity or mold allergy caused by direct exposure to mold spores is very common. When people have a mold allergy, their immune system overreacts when they inhale tiny, airborne mold spores. A mold allergy may cause coughing, itchy eyes, runny nose, watery eyes, rash, asthma attacks and other symptoms that make people miserable. Certain mold-induced allergic conditions caused are more serious; they include: Allergic fungal sinusitis and Allergic Broncho pulmonary aspergillosis
  • Finding mold growing in your home isn’t just gross—it’s also dangerous. Mold threatens the health of your home and family, so when you notice the signs of mold growth in your home, you should call the mold specialists at RidAway ASAP. RidAway toxic mold spores so you can breathe clean, healthy air once again.