What is Black Mold?
Black mold, which is scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of toxic mold that has gained a lot of popularity in recent years due to its potential health hazards. However, there are quite a few misconceptions and myths surrounding it. This can cause unnecessary fear and confusion among individuals.
In this article, we aim to provide you with accurate information on toxic black mold, debunking myths and presenting you with the facts. This knowledge, will equip you to take decisive action to protect yourself, your loved ones and your home.
Black Mold - Myths And Facts!
Myth: All Black Mold is Toxic.
Fact: While black mold can produce toxic compounds called mycotoxins (these are naturally occurring toxins produced by certain molds), not all strains of black mold are toxic. In fact, many black molds species are harmless. For Example: Nigrospora and Cladosporium are two examples of black molds that are not all toxic to humans or animals.
Myth: Bleach is an Effective Solution for Removing Black Mold.
Fact: There is a variety of mold species in the world. While bleach can very effectively kill some types of mold, is not effective for black mold. Bleach is incapable of penetrating the porous surfaces where black mold can hide and can actually make the problem worse by adding moisture to the affected area.
Myth: All Mold Is bad!
Fact: There exists a vast variety of mold on this planet, out of which some varieties are bad and some are good. While some types of black mold are obviously bad for human and animal health there are types of mold that are actually good and are used in a lot of edible substances. For example; penicillin is a type of mold used in medicines to treat certain bacterial infections. Mold is also an integral part of cheese.
Myth: You can effectively clean up mold on your own.
Fact: While it is possible to clean up small areas of mold on your own, larger or more severe cases of mold infestation require professional remediation services for safe and effective removal.
One of the primary reasons to hire a professional for mold remediation is the potential health hazards associated with prolonged mold exposure. Cleaning up mold can release spores into the air, which can cause respiratory issues and a host of other health hazards. Professional mold removers have the proper equipment, training, and experience to make sure that mold is safely and effectively removed without posing a threat to the health of those in the area. While there are DIY mold removal methods out there, the safest and most effective way to get rid of mold in your home is to call a professional mold abatement company. We at RidAway are the go-to mold removal company in MA and can get rid of your mold problem in a fast and effective manner. Contact us today!