Mold is a type of fungi that grows in damp & humid places. It is found in a variety of colors, like black, green, white, and orange. Mold multiplies by releasing tiny spores into the air, which, when inhaled can cause serious health issues. Mold needs moisture to grow and that’s why it is usually found in areas with water damage, like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. It can on a variety of surfaces like food, paper, wood, and other organic materials. 

Here's what you need to know about toxic mold syndrome.

A lot of species of mold are harmless, but a few of them can produce toxins that are a cause for a lot of health issues. These include,  respiratory problems, skin irritation, and cognitive issues. In some cases, exposure to toxic mold can lead to serious health conditions, such as cancer, neurological problems & toxic mold syndrome.

What is Toxic Mold Syndrome?

The symptoms of ‘toxic mold syndrome’ varies for every individual. It depends on the variety of mold involved and the seriousness of the exposure. Some people may experience mild symptoms, such as sneezing, coughing, and skin irritation, while experience severe symptoms, like difficulty breathing, nausea, and even memory loss.

The symptoms of toxic mold syndrome are very similar to other health issues, this makes it very difficult to diagnose. In some cases, people may not even be aware that they have been exposed to mold, making it extremely challenging to recognize the root of their symptoms.

Preventing Toxic Mold Syndrome

The best way to prevent it is to keep your home/office mold free. This can be done by:

  • Address all water leaks in the house/office immediately

  • Keep indoor humidity levels well below 60%.

  • Ensure proper ventilation of bathrooms and kitchens.

  • Regularly clean all air filters.

  • Avoid carpeted areas that are extremely prone to moisture and humidity.

‘Toxic mold syndrome’ is a serious health condition and can have longlasting health effects. If you suspect that you have been exposed to toxic mold, it's important for you to seek medical help immeidately. By being proactive about mold removal, you can protect yourself and your family from the harmful effects of toxic mold.

While there are DIY mold removal methods out there, the safest and most effective way to get rid of mold in your home is to call a professional mold abatement company. RidAway is the go-to mold removal company for many and can get rid of your mold problem in a jiffy! RidAway has the qualifications and dedication to ensure the work is done to the highest standards.