If anything in your home is the most susceptible to mold growth, that is the basement in your house. Mold thrives in dark places with humidity, moisture, and no ventilation. The basement being dark, humid, and, damp becomes the ideal place for mold to thrive. This mold, not only poses structural damage but is also a health hazard, especially if it is black. Only a few strands of black mold can also be extremely dangerous, especially for kids and people with asthma.
Let's look at some of the main causes of mold in the basement
- Water Leaks: Damaged pipes that go through the basement walls and cracks in the basement walls can allow water to seep into the basement creating a damp environment leading to mold growth. The dampness also leads to excess moisture which contributes to mold growth.
- Poor Ventilation: Inadequate ventilation in the basement leads to moisture getting trapped in the basement which when combined with stagnant air accelerates mold growth.
- Lack of Sunlight: Mold prefers to grow in darker areas like a basement. Little to no sunlight in the basement highly contributes to mold.
These are the fundamental causes of mold growth in the basement. Preventing mold growth in basements can be difficult but it is still possible. The primary thing required to prevent mold growth in a basement is to control moisture growth, and humidity, and overall maintain a dry environment.
- Maintain proper ventilation: There are several ways to maintain ventilation in a basement. An exhaust fan can be installed to maintain airflow, and windows can be built and opened from time to time if and when the weather permits. Exhausts not only maintain airflow but also eliminate moisture and odors.
- Control moisture sources: Address any leaks or foundational cracks promptly. Consider installing a sump pump in your basement. A sump pump can help collect and remove excess groundwater, preventing it from entering your basement. Additionally, consider installing a dehumidifier in your basement as it helps to dehumidify the basement which in turn prevents mold growth.
- Regular Cleaning: Dust and dirt are the food sources on which mold thrives. Regular cleaning can help eliminate these food sources and not let mold grow. The basement floor should be mopped with a mixture of water and detergent to not let any dirt particles start a mold chain. Try not to hoard things that are of no use as they can trap dust and dirt.
What to do if you notice mold in your basement or anywhere else in your home?
Your immediate response upon noticing mold anywhere in your home should be contacting mold removal experts. Handling mold that exceeds 10 sq feet can be dangerous to handle on your own as it might trigger allergies or asthma. Experts like RidAway are the best for removing mold from your home safely as they are fully licensed and insured, use industry-grade technology, and are EPA-approved. RidAway is the go-to mold removal company in MA and can get rid of your mold problem fast! Unlike other mold removal companies near you, they don’t just treat the symptoms of mold growth—they find out what’s causing your mold problem and stop it at the source.
Get rid toxic mold spores with the help of RidAway, so you can breathe clean, healthy air once again.