When there’s excessive moisture, there’s mold. Mold can grow in various places inside a house or a building. Walls, carpets, ceilings, basements, wooden items, and food items are some examples of where mold can thrive. Another prevalent place for mold to proliferate is HVAC ( Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) systems. This not only compromises the system's efficiency but also makes your home more susceptible to mold growth and poses a danger to your and your family’s health.
Let’s look at the reasons for mold growth in HVAC systems;
- Mold thrives in dark, humid places with moisture. HVAC systems make it an ideal place for mold to multiply.
- Sometimes, the HVAC systems face condensation issues in their working which becomes an ideal breeding ground for mold.
- If not cleaned regularly, the dust and debris collected in the HVAC systems when combined with moisture can become food for mold.
The Impact of Mold Growth in HVAC Systems;
- Mold growth on the coils, filters, or other components of the HVAC system can block the airflow inside it making it difficult for the system to effectively cool or heat the place. This also puts strain on the system while also consuming more energy.
- The HVAC systems containing mold release mold spores into the air. These mold spores affect the indoor air quality of the building/house and when inhaled can cause respiratory issues and also trigger allergies. Prolonged exposure to mold spores can also trigger asthma.
How To Prevent Mold in HVAC Systems?
- Regular inspection is the best way to prevent mold growth in HVAC systems. Regular inspection helps detect condensation and mold growth signs which cannot only prevent structural damage in HVAC systems but also save you and your family from potential dangers of mold.
- Dehumidifiers should be used to maintain the humidity levels of a building. Optimal humidity temperature ranges from 30-50%.
- Making people aware of the importance of mold prevention. Educating occupants on the importance of promptly reporting leaks, water damage, or signs of mold ensures that issues are addressed promptly.
- Another important thing is to educate people on the importance of cleanliness to prevent mold growth. Simple practices like maintaining proper ventilation, maintaining a dry environment, and cleaning spills promptly contribute to maintaining a mold-resistant environment
If you notice mold growing in your HVAC systems, walls of your living room, kitchen ceilings, or any other area in your home or workplace the immediate response should be to contact a professional mold removal company. One such company is RidAway. It is fully licensed and insured, uses industry-grade technology, is EPA-approved, RidAway has the qualifications and dedication to ensure the work is done to the highest standards. RidAway toxic mold spores so you can breathe clean, healthy air once again.