What Is Asbestos?

Asbestos is a type of fiber that occurs naturally in the wild and it’s one that people in the past discovered to be extremely fire-repellant. As such, many construction workers in the past used asbestos as insulation in houses.

They figured it was fibrous enough to keep in the heat and the cold (when necessary) and it would also prevent houses from catching on fire as often. However, at the time, they didn’t realize that asbestos was harmful to humans.

In 1973 a law was passed saying that houses could no longer use asbestos for insulation. As such, houses built after 1973 don’t use asbestos and many other old houses have switched out their asbestos with non-toxic insulation.

However, there are still houses out there that contain asbestos; the asbestos inside them hasn’t been discovered yet. As such, if you think that your old house suffers from an asbestos infestation, act quickly and get it removed as soon as you can.

Health Effects

Removing asbestos is extremely important. Unlike mold or other airborne bacteria-born pollutants, the consequences of leaving asbestos in your house are far more dangerous.

When it comes to asbestos, increased exposure is an extremely bad idea. For starters, being around asbestos for long periods can increase your risk of developing lung disease; if you smoke, your chances increase.

The longer you’re around asbestos, the higher your risk of lung disease and other diseases such as cancer, asbestosis, and mesothelioma. All of these can result in an inability to breathe and can even be fatal.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to determine if you have a disease caused by asbestos or not. Because of how hard these diseases are to discover, healthcare professionals are more likely to try and do an inspection of your living quarters to see if they can determine the presence of asbestos before they make a diagnosis.

If you’re interested in other diseases that can be caused by asbestos, please check out the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and the National Cancer Institute.

The Need For Professional Removal

Given the toxicity of asbestos, it's essential that removal be performed by professionals. They will ensure the job is done safely and comprehensively so you can resume life without risk to your health. 

If you have any questions about asbestos and its removal, don’t hesitate to contact us at 781-423-8651.